Ever wondered which cars end up on the scrapheap the most? Well, thanks to data from Scrap Car Comparison, we now know which makes and models are scrapped most often – and it turns out that the UK’s best-selling cars aren’t at the top of the list.
Every year, the company issues thousands of quotes to motorists looking to scrap their vehicle, helping them get the best possible price for it. They then analyse this data and compile it every 12 months, giving us an interesting snapshot of what’s lurking in our nation’s scrap yards.
According to the data, Ford is the dominant manufacturer on both lists, followed closely by Vauxhall. Interestingly, although the Fiesta and Corsa outsell the Focus and Astra, they’re not scrapped as often.
Topping the table is the Ford Focus, for the fifth year in a row. Here’s the complete list of data:
- Ford Focus: 29,525 cars scrapped
- Vauxhall Astra: 22,143 cars scrapped
- Vauxhall Corsa: 21,717 cars scrapped
- Ford Fiesta: 18,034 cars scrapped
- Volkswagen Golf: 13,468 cars scrapped
- Renault Clio: 13,280 cars scrapped
- Vauxhall Zafira: 10,703 cars scrapped
- Peugeot 206: 10,519 cars scrapped
- Volkswagen Polo: 9,108 cars scrapped
- Ford Mondeo: 8,303 cars scrapped
- Ford: 76,418 cars scrapped
- Vauxhall: 72,893 cars scrapped
- Volkswagen: 33,715 cars scrapped
- Peugeot: 32,981 cars scrapped
- Renault: 31,289 cars scrapped
- Citroen: 22,264 cars scrapped
- Nissan: 14,691 cars scrapped
- Toyota: 14,246 cars scrapped
- Honda: 13,045 cars scrapped
- Fiat: 13,019 cars scrapped
Dan Gick, Managing Director of Scrap Car Comparison, commented: “This is the fifth year running where we’ve seen the Ford Focus come out on top as the most scrapped car, and we expect to see it featuring highly in our most scrapped lists for many years to come yet.
“Popularity will always have a bearing on which cars are scrapped, and 2021’s results help to spotlight the enduring popularity of the Focus model, even if many do eventually meet the scrap heap.”
Garage equipment maintenance services
Want to avoid having to add your garage equipment to the scrapheap? There’s no substitute for regular maintenance and servicing. At ISN Garage Assist, we specialise in the repair and maintenance of lifts, tyre changers, alignment systems, MOT testing equipment and much more. Find out more about our garage equipment maintenance services today.